Monday, April 18, 2005

Mouse Poetry Contest

No, nothing to do with computers. That America magazine poetry contest about which Kevin Jones posted (see link in previous post) has got me thinking about the little critters and only some cathartic, verbal evacuation will get them out of my head. In fact, I think many of my readers can do better. So I'm announcing the first (and probably last) Apologia mouse poetry contest. America's original offending entry can be found here. Rose Fyleman's fine effort, which Kevin reproduces, is not eligible, although I'm willing to include his lit-doctoral-candidate friend's modernist complaint. Send all entries via email and I'll announce the winner in a week. And I'll post all entries. And I might even let you vote for them. I'll even have the first go at it. I didn't spend much time on it, so no criticism. Remember, when you send yours, try to say something at least as significant as that offered by America's winner. So, here tis:
                One mouse is one,
But two mouses are mice,
And if that's all there were
Then things would be nice.

                But if two mouses are mice,
Then three mice make meeces
Who then reproduce
Whenever they pleases.

I feel a little better, but I could use some help. In case you were wondering, I can't win my own contest.
Update: By the way, everyone is entitled to submit more than one entry should you feel belatedly inspired. Also, you may have noticed that the name of America's winner was Tryfon Tolides who, says the byline, is working toward an M.F.A. in creative writing at Syracuse University and is completing his first book, An Almost Pure Empty Walking. Seems an apt title to me.
 ___________________

Comments:
Slow night, eh Bill?
There once was a lad
Who lived in a house
With a yard full of cats
And a little pet mouse
One day the mouse
Went outside with the lad
And within a few minutes
He knew he'd been had.
Please, hold the applause. :-)
Posted by Jeff Culbreath email at April 18, 2005 04:17 AM

Why would anyone even consider trying to trump the best mouse poetry ever written?
I hate you meecesTo pieces.
(With apologies to Mighty Mouse.)
Posted by Roz email at April 18, 2005 09:25 AM

Will Haiku count?
Coffe grinds, absurd!
Could be pepper, or what else?
Alas! ...... mice turds. :o/
Posted by Faith email at April 18, 2005 12:32 PM

This is a great start, folks. A funny, witty bunch. But, like most poets, you don't follow directions too well. Send entries VIA EMAIL. If all the poems are in comments, there's no surprise for the reader when I post them. I'm also thinking of gathering all entries together and sending them to America mag.
Posted by William Luse email at April 18, 2005 02:34 PM

squeak squeak
gnaw gnaw
chisel chisel
chee-cheeeeese!
ohnonono is that a ca-
Posted by mouse email at April 18, 2005 04:53 PM

Indeed it was a cat.
Posted by cat email at April 18, 2005 06:15 PM

Okay, cat and mouse. Very funny. Counts as a single entry with two authors (may the first one rest [or digest] in peace).
Posted by William Luse email at April 19, 2005 01:41 AM
-----------------------
Go to Sandy's Story.

No comments: