Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Mice on My Mind

Sorry, can't seem to get them off it (so keep those poems a-comin'). Here's my latest effort, based on a real incident:

There’s a cute little mouse who lives in our house,
The kids have named him Sandy;
They think he’s so smart
Cause he took all apart
The foil on their Easter candy.

He ate chocolate eggs while propped on his legs,
And gobbled some jelly beans too,
Then went to the closet
To make a deposit;
By morning the kids said "Pee-yew!"

"That’s it!" said the wife, who gave me a knife,
"I want the furry thing dead!
You know what to do –
First clean up the poo –
Then after it’s off with his head!"

The kids said "Oh no! We do love him so!
So furry, so cute and so clever!"
But Mom looked at me,
Determinédly,
"His head from his neck you will sever."

So night after night I fought the good fight
And chased him from room to room,
I slashed with the knife,
Took a tool from the wife
And flailed at the floor with a broom.

But shortly thereafter I heard the kids' laughter,
"You'll never catch him that way.
Don't do it like that
What you need is a cat -
Ha! ha! ha!" as they ran off to play.

But Dad couldn't slack with the wife at his back,
And surveyed his options anew;
She gave him a beer
So he'd lend her an ear:
"Make him," saith she, "come to you."

While sleeping that night the kids sat upright,
The noise echoed all through the house;
For I'd set a trap
With a coiled spring SNAP! -
And that was the death of our mouse.

Next night came the sound of a scuttling around,
Like the pawsteps of scavenging Sandy;
"And just what is that?"
Snarled my wife where she sat,
"I hope your weapons are handy."

The kids rang the rafters again with their laughter:
"Looks like your efforts were hollow.
But be of good cheer,
Sandy's family's here -
Where there's one there are more sure to follow."

Related links: Mouse Poetry Competition begins.
And the Winner is...
 ____________________

Comments:
Precious. Gonna read that one out loud tomorrow.
Posted by Jeff Culbreath email at April 20, 2005 05:08 AM

I am particularly entranced with the use of the technical term "springy." Working technical language into poetry is, I believe, an extremely difficult task. Well done, Bill.
Posted by MamaT email at April 21, 2005 08:37 AM

Wow. You get up really early.
Posted by Bea email at April 21, 2005 09:47 AM

A fun read, except for the unpleasant memories it brought back of mice where I used to live. They may be cute, but oooooh they're a pain.
Posted by Christina Martin email at April 21, 2005 01:28 PM

Ya know, Terry, that's a very lukewarm compliment.
Posted by William Luse email at April 28, 2005 10:08 PM

No comments: