Friday, July 27, 2012

Zipping into View

Couple weeks ago in the wake of John Roberts's baffling ruling on the constitutionality of Obamacare, I headed over to ZippyCatholic's old blog to hunt up a quote by that man uttered during his confirmation hearings. Guess what I found...nothing. It (the entire blog) was gone, deleted, nuked into cyberspheric nonexistence. I complained directly to the source. He kindly informed me that the archives can in fact be found here.

Not only are the archives there, but a new post as well. Why? Well (speaking of nukes), it's that time of year again, the approach of the anniversaries of the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings, and I guess the spectacle of Catholic advocacy for the proposition that intentionally slaughtering innocents in great numbers for a good end is the one thing that can bring him out of retirement. His post is best appreciated by following the links he provides to Mark Shea's blog and a joint called The American Catholic, with apparent emphasis on "American." Zippy joins with the enemy in comments, firing only at combatant targets:

Abortion and infanticide are just fine, as long as they are done by a nuke rather than a curette.

And, to a commenter who thinks that "nuking a civilan city that civilians should have left is equivalent to nuking empty buildings" -

Anyone else gonna challenge this? Beuller?

Ah, the memories.

11 comments:

TS said...

Old blogs never die, they just go to Wordpress.

Bill White said...

Speaking of old blogs going to wordpress, I've set up shop in a wordpress blog at http://summa.motd.org

William Luse said...

Could you make it easier to comment on your blog? They want me to log in as if I were a Wordpress user. I hate Wordpress.

Bill White said...

I think I've opened it up - could you test it when you have a chance? Thanks!

William Luse said...

It works. You've got some good stuff there. I'm going back to follow the link to the Robert George essay. I'm also interested in "reusing kitchen scraps to grow more food or foliage."

Zippy said...

Hey, thanks for noticing.

William Luse said...

Any time, old friend. I'd like to be able to notice more often. Hint.

Step2 said...

This is once again completely off-topic, but I was worried it would be seen by the wrong people if I commented elsewhere about the "controversy". You remember who Vinteuil is, right? A certain agnostic Italy-visiting philosophy teacher who enjoys classical music. It is bizarre that he is ingratiating himself with L.A., although I suppose they deserve each other.

Also, good to know Zippy is back at work.

William Luse said...

I remember the name, but not the nature of his comments at W4. I saw also Kristor and Sage, who did good work in taking LA to task. I don't go to LA's unless steered there by someone else. Aside from his pose of infallibility (ironically, he likes to kick the Catholic Church around from time to time), there's something depressing about the place. One cause is probably the racial undertone that Cella warned me about years ago. I don't mind discussing the problem of black crime, but when we begin hypothesizing that some of the perpetrators might not even be human, well, I have other things to do.

Step2 said...

"I remember the name, but not the nature of his comments at W4."

He wasn't a commentator. Steve goes by Vinteuil at his other blog.

William Luse said...

Oh, that's right. Completely forgot. Well, I guess ordinarily strange bedfellows can kiss and make up if the right issue is on the table.