Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Yard work and beer. It's summer in Florida and that's the name of my game. I was enjoying some Sunday night while the steaks cooked on the grill. I heard a whiny buzz off to my right and noticed a bee had gotten himself trapped inside the nightlamp outside Bern's old room. He kept bouncing off the glass, avoiding the light itself. All he had to do was fly downward to escape, but he kept bouncing off the glass. I went inside to get another beer. When I came back he was outside the lamp, but still bouncing off the glass. Couldn't help himself. He had to fly toward the light, even though he didn't know why. He dipped and went up inside and started all over again. This wasn't discipline, but compulsion, a biological fanaticism. A pure Darwinist, he knows only what nature tells him. He can't see the big picture. Bugs are stupid.

A little earlier, as I was putting away the lawnmower, a bird started singing from the roof of the garage. Really singing. No pattern to it. I've never heard such a variety of sounds from a single bird. I didn't see any cats around, just me'n him. "What?" I said. He stopped singing and cocked his head, looking right at me. He started again and flew over to the guava hedge and sat on top of it, still singing up a storm. Then he crawled down inside the hedge, where I'll bet he (or she) has a nest. I'm pretty sure he was a mocking bird. These are the guys that follow me around when I'm mowing to scoop up the insects in my wake. Looks like this:










I still haven't figured out what all the singing was about.

Anyway, somewhat freaked by all the e. coli in the news, I ended up overcooking the steaks, much to the wife's disappointment. She likes them bloody. I told her I'd do better next time. She said the baked potatoes with sour cream were good, though, which was just another cut because anybody can cook a potato.

I ought to get out of this habit of posting when I don't have anything to say, but it hasn't stopped anyone else. Isn't that the definition of blog? A place to say what doesn't need saying? Maybe that needed saying.

I'm linking to this woman because she sent me a nice email. She's a college English prof who liked my Bauer essay, and said she uses the Schiavo piece I did for Touchstone in her rhetoric classes. She's that rarest of phenomena, the out-of-the-closet Christian college teacher. She's fighting the good fight and I get to be part of it without having to show up.

Old Culbreath tagged me for a meme he made up, one of those my-memes I guess. Thirty things that don't bother him. Everything bothers me even when it shouldn't, so I can't do it. Besides, he tags me then disappears on one of those fasts in which he refuses to eat blogs for a while.

It's good to see Dylan getting back in the game, just as I'm leaving. In early June he posted an Emily Dickinson thing, which served to remind me of one of his own (it's the first one you see), which I re-read occasionally, having always thought it ran close with genius.

---------------

I know what we need - some pictures. Some are enlargeable.

The space shuttle's scheduled to come home on Thursday. I got a picture of it taking off over a neighbor's tree:




Yep, he launched it from his backyard.











I've been missing the girls more than usual lately. Elizabeth had to go to New York recently. This is New York:

















And this is Elizabeth in it:

















And this is Lady Liberty (enlarge, so that you can see the itty bitty people walking around her):

















And this is Elizabeth:

















I took a long drive and visited Bern last weekend. A friend's sister got married and I was invited to the wedding. Because I know Bern. Knowing her has gotten me into a lot of events from which I'd otherwise be excluded. This is she pretending to be barefoot and happy in the kitchen:
















And this is she, pre-ceremony, allowing one of the ushers to get lucky for a moment:















And here she is with some buddies at the reception. The one on the right, also a former golfer, is due in August:
















Oh, I missed the dog, too. We hadn't seen each other in a long time, but as soon as he heard my voice he remembered. He knocked me to the ground (I cooperated) and jumped all over me like old times. His eyes are really quite beautiful (as can be seen here. The red-eye thing in the software didn't work too well, so in this one he appears to be going blind).










For the rest of the summer I'll be working in the yard, on the house, and teaching classes. I might pick up the golf clubs again, and maybe try a couple of paintings, and maybe do some reading. All to be washed down with generous drafts of beer and ale. Wherever I am, it most likely won't be here, and I can't honestly say that I'll miss it.

30 comments:

TS said...

Hi-laire: "[Isn't a blog] a place to say what doesn't need saying? Maybe that needed saying."

At least blogs come by it honestly. The world itself doesn't "need saying" since God doesn't need the world.

TS said...

Forgot to mention I like the pics.
I embedded a Bern reference in my blog recently for your amusement.

William Luse said...

And I did appreciate it.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Luse

Yardwork and beer are all very well (though I could do without the yardwork), but please don't neglect blogging. I hope you'll forgive a complete stranger making such demands, but, dammit, you can't abandon your blog during one of Culbreath's blogfasts (and he was on fire just before he left too). Without sufficient blog material to read I'll be forced to do work at work.

Don

William Luse said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Don, but work at work is one of the things that interferes with blogging. And then there's...yardwork and beer.

If the spirit moves, I'll certainly post something; it's just not moving right now.

alicia said...

blog the big stuff and blog the little stuff
we all get off the blogging wagon from time to time
go look at my new grandbaby!

Beth Impson said...

Thanks for the link to Inscapes, Bill -- very kind of you! Not that I've been keeping up much this summer, either -- after all, this is novel-reading for pleasure time! (I'd love to do yard work, I think, at least the easy parts of it, but since just walking onto the front porch to greet the neighboring Yorkies causes my throat to close and my eyes to go blind, I'll have to leave it to my guys. Ah well, all the more time for reading!)

Beth

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Bill, for the kind notice!

For some reason, linking to pre-2006 posts at my blog is next to impossible (that "nopub" in the URL causes a "Page Not Found" thing to pop up).

It could be done this way. But it's a pain having to change the URL from the new style to the old.

Again, thanks for the kind words, unmerited though they be.

Anonymous said...

I like the pictures.

William Luse said...

Beautiful child, Alicia. Hope everything turns out all right.

Alaiyo - "I'd love to do yard work, I think, at least the easy parts of it" - that sounds like some other girls I know. Eventually, they wouldn't even do the easy parts.

Dylan - unmerited my ass.
Good to see you figuring things out again, though I can't figure out why your old archives don't have individual URL's. Anyway, I changed the link in the post to the one you provided. Since you've obviously saved your old archive file names, it might be possible to create a dropdown menu in your sidebar (using that info I sent for your old site), for just the pre-2006 archives. But I'm not sure.

Bob the Ape said...

Shameless self-promotion: I had a few things to say about yard work recently.

You have two really spiffy girls there. So do I. God is really good.

William Luse said...

Yes, He is, and the self-promotion is okay. That's some clever poetry over at your place. The one about yard work reminds me of what I have to do today.

Lydia McGrew said...

See, over on WWWtW today our commentator Kevin (about whom I don't mean to say anything unkind) was bemoaning the fact that he's "too bourgeoise." When I come here and I see everybody thanking God for yard work and beer and beautiful daughters, I want to say, "What's wrong with being bourgeoise?" I guess the word (which I'm not even sure I can spell correctly) just has more positive connotations for me than for some people.

William Luse said...

If an upper class philosopher can see it, then it must be true: Bourgeois is beautiful.

Beth Impson said...

Oh, you so have me pegged! :) What I'd really like is just to relax on the porch swing, reading mystery novels, while other people weed flower beds and grill steaks and bring me lemonade . . . I *would* pull up a few weeds, though, just to make it look good . . .

Beth

Anonymous said...

Lemonade?

TS said...

Speaking of yard work and beer, I recently combined the two by drinking while mowing. As the Guinness people say: Brilliant. I thought to myself "why haven't I done this before?"

TS said...

The gal to Bern's left looks like she knows her away around an atheltic field.

Anonymous said...

I'm tempted to try your mowing technique, but then it wouldn't be as much of a reward.

Three of them know their way around the athletic field. But I have a feeling you're looking at them too closely. Old habits die...

Beth Impson said...

"lemonade"?

I, sir, am a Southern lady, and I leave the beer to the men. (Now, a nice sweet margarita would be fine, except that it would put me straight to sleep and I wouldn't get as much reading in. :-) )

Beth

William Luse said...

Southern ladies. Mmmm.

Anonymous said...

I had so much fun dancing with you at Ally's wedding dad! You still can move pretty well for an old man:)

Why do you have such a hard time referring to that "usher" as my boyfriend, huh?

William Luse said...

This old man moves better than that usher.

TS said...

Upside to Bern's retirement from the LPGA is that at least the usher isn't dating her just because she is a pro golfer. Fame tends to ruin relationships.

Anonymous said...

So do dads. But I'm trying to be a good boy.

TS said...

One (bad) option is to let Cedar decide the usher's worthiness.

William Luse said...

The dog likes him. But dogs like everybody.

Anonymous said...

Cedar more than likes the usher. However, the usher thinks I love Cedar more than him.:)

William Luse said...

The usher might be more perceptive than I thought.

TS said...

What is Cedar dressing up as for Halloween?