Wednesday, February 10, 2016

I have an article up...


...at Crisis Magazine, for those interested.



--------------------------

6 Responses to I have an article up…


C.A. Sebacher says:

January 20, 2016 at 4:54 pm (Edit)


Very great, Bill.

Witness Literature.

“Newman said that those who truly love their religion revere its forms, because those forms, those disciplines, depend at some point on a doctrine, and the doctrine on a Person. And so I see an attack on one as an attack on the other, an assault on either as one against the person of Christ himself.”

And thus the case is closed, with the understanding that an attack on the defender of sacred form is an assault on Christ himself. Some who attack may know not what they do.

Who’s this “Greg”?—he should be banned. You didn’t miss his accusing you of Christ-killing judgmentalism, and he’s not alone in that thread in judging you Phariseeistic. No more Crisis for me until Greg’s excommunicated. I wouldn’t have to even glance at one of his posts; just knowing he’s still posting would enrage me. Let him shoot his mouth off elsewhere.

Another damns you for idolatry–for idolizing the Logos! So the arch-idolater is he who strives to keep integrity to the Word.

Not reconciled, you tell a story of restraint with restraint. You should take aesthetic liberties (martyr yourself): novelize it. The protagonist would be a Catholic Lear raving in the shitstorm. The reader would welcome volumes on the bad actors and the good. You don’t seem to believe so, but there are very bad actors in your anecdotes.

I’ve paid little attention these decades to what’s been happening in American Mass. I’d seen enough and turned away by the time I was fifteen, after Mass had suddenly gone English and “communal.” I remember the moment when during Dismissal some compliant soul turned to me and extended his hand. I shook it as I saw others extending theirs—and left before the priest “processed out.”

You recount enormities, Bill. Are there truly Church clerisy who entertain the notion that “Christ’s awareness of his true identity and the nature of his mission could [not] have found completion during his earthly sojourn, but came into its fullness only after the Resurrection”?

What? Where does that come from? I don’t know what to say.

I’ll just tack this on, from Rieff’s essay on Oscar Wilde:

“God is not love, except as he is authority. When Wilde declared himself against authority, he did not know how he weakened what he was for: love. Authority will not be separated from love. To be for love and against authority is a paradox upon which no institution can be built.”





William Luse says:

January 20, 2016 at 5:39 pm (Edit)


Hey there, C.A. I’ll get back to you tonight. Have to go to Adoration and Mass right now.





William Luse says:

January 20, 2016 at 11:21 pm (Edit)


Who’s this “Greg”?—he should be banned.

Whatsa matter? You got something against the 1st amendment?

No more Crisis for me until Greg’s excommunicated

The editors have not the authority, and need your support. Why would your opinion be influenced more by one heterodoxist than by one other in support, especially that wonderful priest? I will take your vow as hyperbole in support of what a friend of mine never tires of calling the Good, the True and the Beautiful.

Let him shoot his mouth off elsewhere.

You don’t understand. The avocation of turning a combox into a loony bin gives his life meaning.

Are there truly Church clerisy who entertain the notion that “Christ’s awareness of his true identity and the nature of his mission could [not] have found completion during his earthly sojourn…etc.

Yes.

Where does that come from?

“…in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as God, knowing good and evil.”

God is not love, except as he is authority.

Rieff would have made a decent Catholic. Say a prayer for him.





C.A. Sebacher says:

January 21, 2016 at 8:00 am (Edit)


I say again, ban Greg. I’m done with Crisis till they do.

“Why would your opinion be influenced more by one heterodoxist than by one other in support, especially that wonderful priest? I will take your vow as hyperbole in support of what a friend of mine never tires of calling the Good, the True and the Beautiful.”

Insofar as Greg turns threads into hubbub, he makes the Truth more difficult to discern for readers who don’t yet know enough Truth (plainly I’m one of those readers). It’s a moral imperative: Crisis must ban babelizers!

Start with Greg. Make an example of him to draw out all other heterodoxists, then bar them all.

Or ban Greg just because I hate him.

“Do not I hate them, O LORD, that hate thee? and am not I grieved with those that rise up against thee? I hate them with perfect hatred: I count them mine enemies.” (Psalms 139: 21-22)


William Luse says:

January 22, 2016 at 2:08 am (Edit)


“Love your enemies, and do good to them who persecute you.” (Somewhere in the Gospels)


C.A. Sebacher says:

January 22, 2016 at 5:03 am (Edit)


Okay, I’ll try.

No comments: