Friday, November 21, 2008

A Tiger by the tongue

'How Obama got elected' is the name of a website where you can laugh when you're not crying over how little people know of Him for whom they voted, though they seem to know a lot about she for whom they did not. Having talked to some young folks myself, I can't claim to be surprised. But I am somewhat to hear the same garbage-think spewing from the mouth of Tiger Woods:

He represents America. He's multiracial. I was hoping it would happen in my lifetime. My father was hoping it would happen in his lifetime, but he didn't get to see it. I'm lucky enough to have seen a person of color in the White House.

You've heard this sentiment a million times, here spoken by a man without regard, apparently, for what the person of color stands for (even careful to say 'person', not 'man'). Spoken by a man-person whose wife recently gave birth. And does he even understand what he's really said? I do: a white person cannot represent America.

So much for Palin in 012. Maybe her husband could run. He's part Eskimo.

5 comments:

Thomas D said...

This reminds me of the Dallas Morning News columnist who wondered aloud why neighborhoods described as "vibrant" are always non-white. "Hey," the columnist said. "I'm white. Don't I vibrate?"

Anonymous said...

"I'm white. Don't I vibrate?"

White is boring. Same old same old. Not different. Not new.

Just watch. Pretty soon someone will propose renaming the White House.

Thomas D said...

White people are vibrant only if they're gay.

Anonymous said...

I thought I'd let you say it first. In future, it'll be one of those qualifications for "representing America".

I love that church picture. Do you have a larger version you can send me? I want to paint it.

Thomas D said...

I'll send you a link ...